Join The Team
Energy Action Coalition is seeking dynamic and passionate people to join our team.
Below are the current opportunities to join Energy Action Coalition central staff and fellows. Check back often as we are frequently adding new positions.
Check out the Jobs Board on the right for opportunities with our partners and other organizations.
Energy Action Coalition Field Director
LOCATION: Washington, DC
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling until hired
POTENTIAL START DATE: December 12, 2011
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full Time
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience
Context: The Energy Action Coalition Field Director coordinates with a diverse coalition of partner organizations to develop and implement youth grassroots campaigns for a 100% clean energy economy. The Field Director builds the strength, capacity, and diversity of the youth climate movement through cohesive and empowering campaigns to move our country beyond dirty energy and toward job-creating clean energy solutions. This includes building youth grassroots and partner organization leadership, campaign strategy and planning, managing staff, and developing materials and data management systems. These skills will be instrumental in designing and implementing Energy Action Coalition’s youth vote campaign in 2012 to stand up to big polluters and get dirty energy money out of politics.
Scope: The Field Director works with Energy Action Coalition partner organizations to coordinate field campaigns that empower youth grassroots leaders, build organizational capacity on the ground, and develop field plans & materials to win clean energy victories across the country. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, dynamic, and driven team. If you are results-oriented and excel at working with diverse groups, we want to hear from you.
PRIMARY JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Coordinate Energy Action Coalition partner organizations to collaborate and achieve shared campaign goals.
- Develop and implement field plans, strategy, and tactics that compliment the diversity of strengths and approaches of partner organizations.
- Manage field organizers in key states and maintain regular communication with partner organizations’ staff managers.
- Develop youth grassroots leadership and state-based network organizational capacity on the ground. Support with skills trainings.
- Coordinate mass recruitment efforts for national and regional Power Shift conferences and mass mobilizations.
- Work closely with Energy Action Coalition team: especially the Campaign, Environmental Justice, and Online Directors to develop dynamic communications and online strategies to advance field campaigns.
- Help design and implement Energy Action Coalition’s 2012 youth vote campaign.
SECONDARY JOB ACTIVITIES:
- Generate blog posts about the campaign and promotion through online social media with an emphasis on empowering grassroots voices.
- Coordinate field tactics like National Days of Action to move beyond dirty energy.
- Direct the development and preparation of campaign issue information including the writing, editing and distribution of fact sheets, organizing toolkits, and educational materials.
- Create systems to track progress toward campaign goals like metrics, reporting, and data management systems.
- Two to five years grassroots organizing experience working in the youth climate movement, issue based campaigns, political campaigns, or other similar organizations to plan and implement grassroots campaigns.
- Experience in coordinating diverse coalitions of partner organizations.
- Experience managing electoral or issue based “get out the vote” campaigns
- Strong oral and written communication skills - ability to clearly write and explain complex issues and effectively communicate them to partner organizations and the general public.
- Interest in climate change, energy, or related social justice issues.
- Staff management experience
- Experience working with underserved communities, communities of color and/or environmental justice organizations is a plus.
- Budget management experience
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
- Proficient with computer skills including database maintenance, word processing, social media promotion, and basic website maintenance.
ABOUT ENERGY ACTION COALITION
Founded in June 2004 by youth climate leaders, the Energy Action Coalition unites a diversity of organizations in an alliance that supports and strengthens the student and youth clean energy movement in North America. The 50 partners of Energy Action Coalition work together to leverage our collective power and create change for a clean, efficient, just and renewable energy future. Energy Action Coalition is one of the preeminent youth grassroots organizing forces in the country. The work of Energy Action Coalition is focused on four strategic areas: campuses, communities, corporate practices, and politics. To learn more visit: www.wearepowershift.org
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Field Director” in your email subject line.
Energy Action Coalition is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.